?!XQuestions and feedback
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
X
Questions and feedback
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

The Semigallian Castle Mound and the Livonian Order Castle Ruins

Address: 
Dobele
Phone number: 
+371 63721309

In this place, there was a settlement of the early inhabitants of Dobele - Semigallians - already 1000 years B.C.  A wooden Semigallian castle was built within the ancient town, and it was one of the administrative centres of the ancient Semigallia.

From 1335 until 1347, the Livonian Order built a new stone castle instead of the old wooden one, later also a church was built and a park was arranged next to the castle. Until 1562, the Dobele Castle was the seat of the Garrison Commander and Governor (Komtur) of the region.

In the first half of the 18th century, after the Northern War and the Big Plague, the castle was left uninhabited.

At present, the ruins are the oldest stone building in Dobele and a cultural monument of national significance. The conservation works of the ruins were started in 2002. The observation deck in the renovated tower offers a great view of the town across Bērze River. You can have a guided tour around the castle by an entertaining castle lady. The walkway along the right bank of the Bērze River has become a favourite recreational site.